Guide to The Consumer Unit

The consumer units in our homes are widely responsible for powering all of the circuits in our property and consists of several components. In this blog post here at JK Electrical Services we've created a short guide to the consumer unit and the different components involved. Before we get into this blog post, if you'd like to get in touch with us regarding any of our services, you can do so by giving us a call on, 07969 784 503, or by using the additional contact details at the bottom of this page. 

Guide to the Consumer Unit 

Below are several of the components that make up the consumer unit; this includes, mains switch RCDs, circuit breakers and bus bar. At JK Electrical Services, we offer consumer unit installations across London and the South East; including areas such as South Croydon, Bromley and other surrounding areas. 

Mains Switch

This particular component of the consumer unit controls the supply of electric throughout your property and is what should be switched off in the event of an emergency. This component also controls the other components on the consumer unit. 

Circuit Breakers

There are roughly six circuits throughout our homes, each controlled by a circuit breaker. Circuit breakers trip and turn off when they locate an electrical fault, thus protecting you from electric shocks. When a circuit breaker trips, they can be switch back on. However, it is recommended/advised that you have an electrician take a look at the electrics in your home to find out where the fault lies.

RCDs (Residual Current Devices)

RCDs or Residual Current Devices are responsible for turning off the power immediately after locating a fault with the electrics in your home. This prevents you from getting a potentially fatal electric shock from touching a live wire. They constantly monitor the flow of electric throughout your property; also, as of 2008, all homes must have RCDs fitted for safety purposes.

Bus Bar

The bus bar is a component of the consumer unit that is only seen by electricians working on the consumer unit. The bus bar is a long strip of copper with teeth to lock all the components in place.

Need Our Services?

Now that you know about the consumer unit and the components involved in the consumer unit, why not get in touch with us about our services here at JK Electrical Services; we're available throughout London and the South East. Including areas such as South Croydon, Bromley and all other surrounding areas. To reach us, you can either give us a call on, 07969 784 503 or send us an email via our email address at, Finally and if you'd much prefer, you can use the contact form on our website to send us a message.